Life Skills Curriculum at The Theodore House: Beds Available!
Pay Rate: $25 per hour
Availability: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and some Saturday mornings.
Health and Safety
To provide information that will help make healthy choices, including hygiene, sexual responsibility and substance abuse. They will understand how to deal and cope with stress, anger and any other issue that may affect their lives.
- Understand hygiene
- Learn to be independent
- Understand the negative impact substance has
- Knowledge of addiction
Housing and transportation
To provide the tools and strategies to find and maintain safe and affordable housing and transportation.
- Understand the pros and cons of various housing options
- Understand the legal responsibilities and ramifications of rental property
- The pros and cons of having a roommate
To help in attaining their career potential by helping them consider, education and employment goals by supporting their ability to execute their plan.
- Complete GED if they don?t have it
- Explain the role of education plays in the future economic success
- Explain the options of higher education and vocational training
- Understanding relevance of a professional resume, and the importance of an interview
- Knowledge of how to find and keep a job
To provide tools and information that will help develop skills that will lead to financial responsibility and independence.
- An understanding of banking
- An understanding of good and bad credit
- Experience in developing and maintaining a budget
- Understanding the pros and cons of using credit cards, ATM and debt cards
- A list of ways to protect against identity theft
Life Decisions and Responsibilities
To provide a forum to consider the many responsibilities and decision they will be making as they move toward independent living.
- An understanding of how and why certain documents are important and must be secured
- An awareness of community resources and how to access them
- A list of community supporters
Personal and Social Relationships
To facilitate training that will promote positive relationships, develop appropriate communications skills, help to develop a sense of culture and respect for others, and build positive self-esteem.
- An awareness of appropriate communications skills
- Respect for culture and ethnicity diversity
- An understanding of self-esteem and personal strengths
- An understanding of using new skills to help resolve conflict